Packing Partner V3

Download Free 14 Day Trial
Home| Express| Integration| Support

#1 30-01-2019 05:35 pm

Simply NikNaks

Click & Drop Planned Despatch Date

Is it possible to add a new column to the standard file export to C&D?

I want 'Planned Despatch Date' added with values defaulting to todays date in the format dd/mm/yyyy

Sometimes I want to pack parcels one day even though I know I wont be posting until the next day. Currently, to do this I export the standard file, add in the new column manually, import it to C&D. However, I then have to re-map all the columns of the import file for C&D as C&D thinks it a new format. On my next import to C&D I again have to re-map the columns as the 'Planned Despatch Date' column is no longer there.

If 'Planned Despatch Date' column was always there then I wouldn't have to keep doing the column mappings. The system for posting same day would work correctly with no changes. If I did need to change the date I could edit the file manually myself - but at least I wouldnt have to re-map the columns on the import.

Obviously, ideally, I would like PP to ask me my planned despatch date on export, but for now the above mod would work and shouldnt be too much trouble to enable.

#2 30-01-2019 05:39 pm

Andrew
Admin

Re: Click & Drop Planned Despatch Date

That already exists.
When you upload to Click & Drop, you can choose a date from the drop-down on the confirmation toolbar.

#3 30-01-2019 06:36 pm

Simply NikNaks

I have tried that but I still dont get a 'Planned Despatch Date' column in the export file.
Do I have to enable the column/feature somewhere else?

#4 30-01-2019 06:47 pm

Andrew
Admin

We've not seen a field called 'Planned Despatch Date', we use the 'Date' column.

#5 31-01-2019 11:57 am

Simply NikNaks

The correct field/column name for this feature is 'Planned Despatch Date'. Users have to apply to Royal Mail to enable the feature in the first place.
The spec for this is in the help files which can be found here (in the section Future Dating Orders):
https://business.help.royalmail.com/app … our-orders

That said, as you said you were using the 'Date' column, I thought I would re-map the columns on the import into Click & Drop and map the 'Date' column to 'Planned Despatch Date'. So I exported a file, changing the drop down menu to Tomorrow, but when I look at the file afterwards the date column is blank. No tomorrow dates have been exported so re-mapping that column will not work anyway.

#6 31-01-2019 12:14 pm

Ben
Support

Shouldn't be blank - can you check you are on the latest version please and try again?

Presumably you are opening the CSV file from the _carrier folder, after clicking Carrier upload on the C&D Import page, to have a look?

#7 31-01-2019 12:15 pm

Andrew
Admin

We have other users who are using Date to book in parcels for a future date e.g. when uploading to C&D late Friday, for collection Monday.
You don't need to remap the file, just upload it, the forward date is there.

#8 31-01-2019 01:39 pm

Simply NikNaks

I only updated PP a couple of days ago when ebay changed their screens and caused problems. Version I have is 3.4.1.71

'Date' should be used for Order creation date and not for future dating orders. It can mess up manifest creation. If 'Auto Manifest' is enabled in C&D then the orders may be manifested on the wrong day. If I am manually creating an order in C&D then the 'Date' field will be today and I have to enter a 'Planned Despatch Date' to stop the manifest being done until that date. Again, I refer you to the Help section for C&D using the link I provided earlier.

However, 'Date' column in the CSV file is always empty anyway. I goto 'Shipping', 'Export for Carriers'. Change the date on the confirmation toolbar to 'Tomorrow', click 'OK'

I then browse to the exported file and load it up into Excel - and the Date column is blank.

If I look at the file in Notepad, the last field exported is 'Currency code' - even though the header to the file has 7 more columns after 'Currency code' there are no comma separators for these columns in the actual data, so all columns after 'Currency code' (including 'Date') are blank

#9 31-01-2019 03:31 pm

Andrew
Admin

Sorry but you must be looking at the wrong file.
We have hundreds of users uploading to C&D with the latest version.
I have just imported a file with the date put forward to next Wednesday, which shows correctly on C&D.

Exported Columns:

Full name,Address line 1,Address line 2,City,County,Postcode,Country,Phone,Email,Order reference,Special instructions,Weight,Package size,Service code,Unit price,Unit weight,Quantity,Name,Customs code,Customs description,Country of origin,Shipping cost,Total,Currency code,Date,Department,Obtain a signature,Email notification,SMS notification,Guaranteed Saturday delivery,Consequential loss

#10 31-01-2019 04:01 pm

Simply NikNaks

I am NOT looking at the wrong file.

Everything else in the file I exported is as I expected with my current orders. If I was looking at incorrect file then the orders would not match those I have in PP. If it was the wrong file then please explain why the orders match.

When I import into C&D this is the file I select. I will email you screenshots and the file so you can see for yourself.

#11 31-01-2019 04:25 pm

Simply NikNaks

And just to be clear - exporting to C&D works fine - it works for me. But NOT when you want to change the date to make a future order.

Only this part of the export does not work and I expect most of your users only use the feature rarely as they usually process and post same day.

#12 31-01-2019 05:35 pm

Andrew
Admin

You said that the date column is empty, so that would be the wrong file.
You can use the Date field to tell RM the date you want to send the item.
You probably can't edit it in Excel because it usually corrupts the import and hence the export.

If you have an additional Planned Despatch Date field in C&D, then just map the Date field to that.

#13 31-01-2019 10:55 pm

Andrew
Admin

It seems there is an issue when export for Carrier is used, rather than direct upload to C&D.
The columns are truncated after currency, so will fix that.

#14 16-04-2019 03:03 pm

Simply NikNaks

I am going to have to re-open this issue as there has been a change by Royal Mail.

To properly future date an order the generated CSV file should have a column called 'Planned Despatch Date'. At the moment, the generated file creates a column called 'Date'. This has not been a problem until recently because when creating column mapping for the file I have mapped 'Date' to 'Planned Despatch Date'.

However, a change by Royal Mail now makes sure any date entered for 'Planned Despatch Date' must be in the future. It throws the file out if the date is in the past or Today.

So, when creating a CSV file, if despatch date is left at default of 'Today' then the 'Date' column has todays date but if mapped to 'Planned Despatch Date' Royal Mail now throws the file out.

If the order is not to be sent in the future then 'Planned Despatch Date' must be left blank.

To get round the problem I would suggest that when creating the CSV file, if date of despatch is left at default of Today, no date is exported (leave the column blank). A blank column for 'Date' will make Royal Mail default to todays date anyway, and if (like me) it is mapped to 'Planned Despatch Date' then this will work to.

#15 16-04-2019 03:49 pm

Andrew
Admin

Thanks for the concise explanation, we have done as you suggest and now only fill the date column if it is a future one.
http://aimcosoftware.co.uk/download/ppv341install.exe

Board footer